Many patients are unsure of what a medical weight loss diet entails, or how to best get started. Contact our office today to learn more about our specific packages and to ask about how we can provide results*.
What is medical weight loss?
Unlike other methods of weight loss, medical weight loss is a process that specifically targets the cause of your obesity, by not only identifying the best ways to lose weight, but also the best ways to maintain weight loss, all under the care of a physician. Medical weight loss is more than just getting surgery, getting nutrition counseling, or taking special supplements. It is a comprehensive medical approach that seeks to work with your body to see how you can optimally lose weight.
- Unlike some popular weight loss programs, a medical weight loss diet always has a physician to monitor your progress, health, and to address any concerns you may have.
- Medical weight loss focuses on the incorporation of healthy eating, exercise, and doctor advisory as a way to reach long-term weight loss.
- To curb your appetite, your physician may decide that it is necessary to prescribe FDA approved appetite suppressants to help you on your journey. Unlike “weight loss pills” that are sold over-the-counter, these medications are tailored to your needs, and are based on what the doctor decides after conducting a medical evaluation.
What should I expect at my appointment?
The first appointment is usually a type of consultation in order to determine your goals and objectives for losing weight. You will be weighed, and a medical examination will be conducted. This is like a normal primary care physical and usually involves taking blood and urine samples, a survey of your medical history, a head-to-toe physical examination, and sometimes, an EKG. Your consultation is longer than most appointments due to the physical, and the baseline counseling, so be prepared to set aside that time in your day.
After that appointment, you will have a follow-up shortly thereafter to go over your results. These results are helpful in providing a baseline to the doctor about your health status. You will then work together in determining a medical weight loss diet plan. Medical weight loss diet plans generally focus on eating real foods that will lead to sustainable healthy eating after weight loss. Your doctor will outline the best plan for you based on what medical conditions you have, and if you have any specific nutritional needs. Dietary supplements such as protein shakes or snacks may also be recommended.
How can I prepare for the appointment?
There are many things that you can do in order to make your medical weight loss diet more successful and your initial consultation go smoothly:
- Be patient. The process might seem to take a long time at some points, but be patient in knowing that you are under the care of a medical provider, and that they are obtaining a complete medical assessment of you.
- Take notes. You may feel overwhelmed with the amount of information that you receive from the counselor, nurses, and doctor, so make sure that you take notes of the specific instructions that are given to you.
- Bring a copy of your medical history. If you cannot remember everything about yours and your immediate family’s significant medical history, do not hesitate to bring a copy of whatever documentation that you have.
- Bring a list of current medications that you are taking. This is especially important if you desire to take prescription appetite suppressants or other medications. This is to prevent any negative drug interactions.
- Be honest about your weight loss goals and history of weight loss attempts. Don’t be embarrassed about your goals or previous methods. We are here to help, and tailor your medical weight loss plan to your specific needs.
After your consultation, we can suggest a full medical weight loss diet package for you that will be tailored specifically to your weight loss goals and needs.
What can I expect going forward?
After your first two appointments, anticipate appointments to ensure that you are on track. They may be weekly, biweekly, or monthly, and can be adjusted based on your progress.
Our medical team will continue to adjust your weight loss tools along with your progress. Our patients find significant benefit from our lifestyle nutritional counseling, in particular, because it helps to provide long term success.
Contact us as soon as possible in order to schedule an appointment and start yourself on the path to a healthier lifestyle.